-2 heads broccoli, florets only, chopped
-1 large red apple, diced
-1 cup raw almonds, chopped
-1 cup sliced green olives
-½ cup raisins
-¼ cup dates, chopped (about 10)
-4 slices crispy bacon (if desired)
For the vinaigrette
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-the juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
-¼ cup avocado oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
-2 tbsp Dijon mustard
-1 tbsp white wine vinegar
-2 tbsp unpasteurized honey
-½ tsp Himalayan salt
-½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
-1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1. The previous night, or at least several hours ahead of time, steam the broccoli over salted boiling water or cook it in the microwave in about a quarter of a cup of slightly salted water for 2-3 minutes, until it turns bright green and is slightly softened. Plunge the cooked broccoli in icy cold water to stop the cooking process and set it in a colander covered with a paper towel to drain and dry.
2. When the broccoli is completely cooled and dry, toast the almonds in a dry skillet set over medium heat, until golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a separate pan, cook the bacon strips until nice and crispy. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess fat. Reserve.
4. In a small food processor, add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add broccoli, green olives, raisins, chopped dates and vinaigrette and mix until thoroughly combined. Break the bacon into pieces and mix it right in.
6. Serve immediately or leave in the fridge for a few hours to allow flavors to develop. This salad will keep in the fridge for 5 to 6 days in an airtight container.