Ford Performance Parts' 2017 entry into the Aluminator crate engine series was the 5.2-liter Aluminator XS crate engine. It is capable of producing 580 horsepower, and offers a great high-performance aftermarket option for Mustang enthusiasts like myself that are seeking enhanced powertrain options. I'm highly interested in what this beauty could do.
According to the Ford Performance website, the 5.2L Aluminator 5.2 XS crate engine is designed to work with 2015-2017 Mustang GT electronics, but requires custom calibration. It can be used as a crate engine in high-end resto-mod builds, which is what I would love to do, or it can be used as an engine upgrade for customers building track-day cars.
The 5.2l Aluminator XS combines all of the FPP highest-performing Coyote engine parts built since 2011 into one package, which is absolutely amazing.
Some of the key engine features as listed by Ford Performance are:
- M-6007-A52XS – ALUMINATOR XS CRATE ENGINE
- Maximum Coyote Crate - 580 Horsepower
- 5.2L - 317 cubic inches
- 12.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
- Ford Performance 5.2L GT350 aluminum block (M-610-M52)
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing cap
- Mahle® hard anodized forged pistons with low friction coating
- Manley® H-beam connecting rods with ARP2000 bolts
- Camshafts Camshaft kit - M-6550-M52
- M-6675-M52 12 quart rear sump oil pan features optimized oil drain back and windage tray to control oil and improve high-rpm performance
- M-9424-M50CJ Cobra Jet tuned intake manifold
- M-9926-CJ65 dual bore throttle body
- M-9593-LU47 47 lb. fuel injectors
- Ford Performance GT350 fully CNC ported aluminum heads M-6049-M52 & M-6050-M52
- M-12A227-CJ13 high RPM pulse ring
- M-8600-M50BALT alternator and mount kit
- M-12405-M50A heat range zero (0) spark plugs
- M-6731-FL820 oil filter
I would love to see how one of these crate engines perform in person, or even use one to build a track-day car! Anyone else who is a Mustang enthusiast, I definitely recommend checking out the source website up above.